Doctor of Philosophy in Economics and Muamalat Administration
PROGRAM DETAILSProgramme Code:
Medium of instructions: English and Malay
Programme Option: By Research
It is targeted for those who are or intends to be a researcher or an academic. It involves an extensive work on identifying an existing issue/problem, understanding it through extensive and intensive review of the relevant literature so as to gauge the current knowledge and the gaps identified. Thus, enriching and discovering new knowledge on the subject chosen.
Programme learning outcome:
Candidates will be trained and able to high quality research in enhancing and generating new knowledge in the chosen area.
In pursuing these, candidates will be expected to acquire appropriate analytical tools and writing skills to prepare quality reports as a professional researcher or an academic.
this is available under the Ministry’s ‘My Brain 15’ programme for those who qualify. Please browse the Ministry’s web page for further details.
Two compulsory courses:
The student is required to take and pass Research Methodology and Data Analysis in his first semester. Only then can he prepare a proposal for the Qualifying Test (QT).
One or more academics (committee) will be assigned as the supervisor(s) for the student to consult and seek advice. Colloquiums: GSM will organise three colloquiums each semester for PhD candidates to have their research proposal reviewed by a team of academics.
This will be scheduled during the 4th, 9th and 13th week of the semester to review their chapters 1 (Introductory), 2 (Literature Review) and 3 (Research Methodology) respectively.
- A Master’s degree in the field or related fields accepted by the Senate; or
- Other relevant qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree AND with relevant professional experience recognised by the Senate; or
- Candidates without a related qualification in the field/s or working experience in the relevant fields must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the Faculty.
- Incumbent Master’s degree Student who has fulfilled the requirement of Regulations 8.0 and is approved by the Senate to convert his/her study to a Ph.D. degree; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with the following conditions:
i. a bachelor's degree in the field or related fields with first-class (CGPA of 3.67 or higher) or its equivalent from an academic or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme;
ii. undergo internal assessment; and
iii. any other requirements of the JKPSU.
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
(1) An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).
Local Full Time
Local Part Time
Doctor of Philosophy in Economics & Muamalat Administration
The fees that stated are subject to change from time to time without any prior notice by the University. Student are advised to check the CGS Website for any changes before the of each semester registration. All fees must be paid upon registration.
The university has the right to withdraw this offer or to terminate you from your study if you are found to suffer from or to be a carrier of contagious/infectious diseases, or to suffer from a medical condition requiring continuous medical care that will adversely affect your study at USIM.
(1) Communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
(2) Chronic Non-communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
Applicants can apply via online at https://icgs.usim.edu.my/ and fill the prescribed forms. Forms and supporting authenticated documents must then be submitted through online or mailed to the office.
For information related to visa and student pass, please refer to http://alamiyyah.usim.edu.my
Graduate School of Muamalat (GSM)
Faculty of Economics and Muamalat,
Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM)
71800 Bandar Baru Nilai, N.Sembilan, Malaysia
Tel : +606-797 8662/8663
Fax : +606-798 6302/6308
E-mail : email@example.com